Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Deciphering the Truth

I am eating as if never before – actually tasting each and every ingredient, down to the teeniest wisp of seasoning. I can feel beyond that – to everything the animal digested before its demise- I can swirl in my mouth the soils and nutrients and toxins that the fruits and vegetables were grown in – the origins of the grains, oils, and sweets in baked items. It is an organic dream – to know the entire history of each participle in the paragraph we are at present ingesting. I know the secret shortcuts taken, the processed factory cut uniformity, and when it is advertised truthfully as the real thing.

To watch the server’s face when I turn away a dish based upon something he or she probably doesn’t even know, something that is then confirmed in private with the deceitful chef is well worth the price – and enough pleasure alone to deny a gracious request of no charge. And when the server is already in the know, yukking it up for another bloated tip, presenting a dish he or she would never touch under any circumstance, grovel, honey, suck that up ‘cause this is one person who wasn’t fooled by the dog eat dog mentality – don’t even bother trying to compete with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment